In a report presented last week, CHR said cases of torture and enforced disappearances continue to pile up even under the administration of President Aquino, which is trying to project itself as an antithesis of the Arroyo administration.
In its report, CHR said the number of cases of rights violations involving soldiers and policemen is higher in Western Mindanao and other areas in Mindanao where the government’s war on terror is focused.
The report was presented in a training session for authorities on laws against torture and protecting human rights here last week.
CHR said from July 2010 to July 2011, at least 18 cases of torture have been recorded in Mindanao.
Eight people also disappeared while 64 others were summarily executed, said the report entitled “Recent Trends from 2010-2011” and presented by Christopher Louie Ocampo, an official of CHR.
“Western Mindanao has the highest (number of torture cases) with nine cases followed by Region 12 (Socsargen) with three and Caraga with three. In the case of enforced disappearances, Western Mindanao is still on top with four cases,” Ocampo said.
Human Rights Commissioner Jose Manuel Mamauag said active reporting by “aware stakeholders” led to the discovery of the cases.
Mamauag said increased awareness about human rights cases was a positive sign though it was saddening that cases of torture, disappearances and summary executions continue to happen.
Read full story at http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/95225/chr-rights-cases-highest-in-west-mindanao
- [In the news] CHR report: Torture and disappearances attributed to security forces continue in Mindanao (hronlineph.com)
- [In the Web] CHR to expose contents of martial law documents (dars0357.wordpress.com)
- [In the news] CHR: Probe fake claimants – INQUIRER.net (hronlineph.com)
- [In the news] CHR probes PMA hazing caught on video | ABS-CBN News | Latest Philippine Headlines, Breaking News, Video, Analysis, Features (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- [In the Web] PHILIPPINES: A stranger’s thoughts of a place in her country (dars0357.wordpress.com)
- [Event] Civil Society and CHR Dialogue on Indigenous Peoples’ Right to Self-Determination – PhilRights (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- [Event] Discussion of AFP Human Rights Office Guidelines on Reporting of HRV Complaints, Monitoring and Feedback system (hronlineph.com)
- [Event] CSOs and CHR Consultation on the Universal Periodic Review (hronlineph.com)
- [In the news] CHR to military: Stop air raids in Zambo Sibugay, use intel for MILF rogue elements -InterAksyon.com (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- [Reflection] Expanding the Mandate of the Commission on Human Rights: Can a toothless tiger bite with false teeth? (dars0357.wordpress.com)