THE Commission on Human Rights (CHR) on Thursday said that it will expose the contents of the “martial-leaks”, or the Department of National Defense documents detailing military operations during the martial law.
Meanwhile, a Catholic bishop said also on Thursday that some practices of martial law, such as the arrest and incarceration of political prisoners, remain even after the country had supposedly restored democracy following the fall of the Marcos dictatorship.
CHR Chairman Loretta “Etta” Rosales tagged the documents turned over to them by the DND as “martial-leaks,” in reference to the Internet hub WikiLeaks where secrets and classified documents derived from different embassies on various issues were exposed.
“We are currently forming a working group who will analyze these documents. Essentially, we have established the commitment of the AFP [Armed Forces of the Philippine] to turn over the documents,” Rosales told The Manila Times.
She added that they have to evaluate the documents and let the working group ensure that the papers would not be “sanitized” so the public could have a general understanding about martial law.
The CHR chairman vowed to leak the documents also to the media so Filipinos would know what exactly happened during the almost one decade of martial law under the iron rule of former president Ferdinand Marcos.
The Defense department turned over the bulk of documents to CHR on Wednesday in a ceremony marking the 39th anniversary of the declaration of martial law.
- [Press Release] Political prisoners are victims of state torture – REHAS (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- [Reflection] The Lesson of History (dars0357.wordpress.com)
- [In the news] Media malaki ang naitutulong sa pagsugpo ng krimen – CHR – www.journal.com.ph (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- [In the news] CHR probes PMA hazing caught on video | ABS-CBN News | Latest Philippine Headlines, Breaking News, Video, Analysis, Features (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- [In the Web] Bust by Conrado De Quiros (dars0357.wordpress.com)
- [Book] Fragments of History: Resurgence of Student Radicalism during Martial Law (dars0357.wordpress.com)
- [Statement] Breaking Impunity will end the Legacy of Martial Law – AFAD (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- [From the web] Attempt to amend RA 9344 also known as the Juvenile Justice Act (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- [Reflection] Expanding the Mandate of the Commission on Human Rights: Can a toothless tiger bite with false teeth? (dars0357.wordpress.com)
- 39 years after Martial Law Political persecution continues under Aquino – KMU (tuklasinnatin.wordpress.com)
- [In the Web] 5 PERNICIOUS MARCOS MYTHS (dars0357.wordpress.com)
- [In the Web] Mercado: Graveside volleys (dars0357.wordpress.com)
- Martial Law Is An Aberration: This Law Is Both An Act Of Treason & Unconstitutional. (politicalvelcraft.org)
- [Blogger] The Lesson of History – Carpe Diem (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- [Press Release] Current labor policies worse than martial law – labor groups (hronlineph.wordpress.com)