As the two-day Tourism Congress opens in Saranggani province today, the Philippine Airlines Employees’ Association (PALEA) called on the delegates to probe issues of passenger safety at Philippine Airlines (PAL). “We ask the Tourism Congress to take up the cudgels for the riding public by inquiring about safety and service concerns at PAL given that overworked and untrained replacement workers are now servicing passengers. If the Tourism Congress is anxious about the impact of the labor dispute on the influx of tourists, then it should also be worried about any possible accidents due to unsafe work practices by contractual workers,” stated Gerry Rivera, PALEA president and vice chair of Partido ng Manggagawa.
Meanwhile PALEA welcomed the call by members of the Labor Group of the Tripartite Industrial Peace Council (TIPC) for government to push for a settlement of the labor row. “A reasonable compromise to the dispute is for both parties, PAL and PALEA, to extend judicial courtesy and wait for the final decision of the courts on the legality of the outsourcing plan. In the meantime, the lockout employees must be allowed to return to their regular jobs in order to normalize flights and operations,” Rivera expounded.
PALEA’s call on the Tourism Congress came in the wake of news reports that yesterday two Danish tourists, Rasmus Georgsen Jakobsen and Kristine Jonassen, backed out of proceeding with a PAL flight to Cebu over safety concerns. According to reports, the tourists questioned PAL’s replacement workers at the check-in counter including a supervisor about safety issues but were left unsatisfied with the answers.
Read full statement at http://laborpartyphilippines.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=447&Itemid=1
- [In the Web] PALEA sues police for ‘intrusion’ (dars0357.wordpress.com)
- [Video] PALEA statement on protest action (dars0357.wordpress.com)
- [In the Web] Various reactions on the PALEA strike (dars0357.wordpress.com)
- [In the Web] ‘Occupy Wall Street’ protests inspire PALEA (dars0357.wordpress.com)
- [In the Web] Philippine Airlines: a frontline in the battle against outsourcing (dars0357.wordpress.com)
- [Reflection] The right to strike (dars0357.wordpress.com)
- [Press Release] PALEA: PNoy should push PAL to open talks to resolve issue not threaten protesting workers (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- [Press Release] PALEA remains defiant, won’t give up protest camp (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- [Press Release] Union busting is the real aim of outsourcing – PALEA (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- PALEA Termination’s Impact on Plato on-line (pochp.wordpress.com)