MANILA, Oct. 19, 2011—In snowballing protests against the seeming inaction of government to halt the spate of killings, church leaders and groups called on President Benigno Aquino to act decisively and put a stop on extrajudicial killings and bring to justice perpetrators of the crime.
The recent murder of PIME priest Fr. Fausto Tentorio has once again revealed the “culture of impunity” that has been prevailing in the country because of the government’s failure to provide protection and justice to human rights defenders, Manila Auxiliary Bishop Broderick Pabillo said in a statement.
Pabillo, who also chairs the CBCP-National Secretariat for Social Action, Justice and Peace, hit the government’s failure to bring murderers to justice.
He said families and friends of victims need more than just the government’s offer of “condolences” and “condemnation” of the crime.
“Families and friends [of victims] don’t need these futile words,” Pabillo pointed out, adding that “we desire to see these killings stop than be consoled by the platitudes they give in exchange of our grief.”
“No peace workers and human rights defenders should ever live in fear or shed blood because of what they believe in and what they stand for,” he added.
Fr. Pops, as Tentorio was called by the locals, was a staunch advocate against mining and other extractive operations that threaten the indigenous people. He had been an inspiration to his parishioners as wells as the lumads who have been opposing activities that are harmful to the environment.
Read full story at http://cbcpnews.com/?q=node/17291
- [Statement] Fr. Tentorio’s death must wake us up- VCDG (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- [Statement] When will the killings stop? – CBCP-NASSA (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- Philippine police seek witnesses in priest killing (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- [Press Release] Amnesty International condemns killing of priest, reiterates call for creation of Presidential Accountability Commission (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- [Statement] ECIP-IP Apostolate Network Condemns the Killing of Fr. Fausto Tentorio, PIME, (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- Philippine Police Seek Witnesses in Priest Killing (abcnews.go.com)
- [In the news] Bishops urge Aquino to release striking political prisoners- Inquirer.net (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- Italian priest shot dead in southern Philippines (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Italian Priest Shot Dead in Southern Philippines (abcnews.go.com)
- Italian priest shot dead in southern Philippines (sfgate.com)