DAVAO CITY (Mindanao Examiner / Nov. 27, 2011) – The Justice for Fr. Fausto “Pops” Tentorio Movement led a solidarity mission to mark the 40 days after the killing of the Italian missionary in the town of Arakan in North Cotabato province in the southern Philippines.
Religious and peace groups, including advocates from Davao City joined the pilgrimage to Arakan. Local and international religious communities also participated and expressed support to the pilgrimage participated by some 800 people mostly from North Cotabato.
The Ateneo de Davao Community spearheaded a memorial mass and was followed by an ecumenical program as opening ceremony to this mission dubbed as “Pilgrimage to Arakan: A journey for Peace and Justice.”
The mission also visited Kabalantian village in Arakan to find out the situation of the people there, mostly lumad tribesmen, who were tagged as communist rebels and driven away by the military. The lumads were the beneficiaries of the priest’s various humanitarian programs.
Sister Juleta Encarnacion, of the Missionaries of the Assumption and co-convener of the Justice for Fr. Fausto ‘Pops’ Tentorio Movement, said: “We want a transparent, independent, high profile investigation that will summon the military, the local government and demand accountability to the brutal murder.”
“While it is miserable that after 40 days of Fr. Pops’ death justice remains elusive, we are glad that behind this cause, not only for Fr. Pops, but for the people of Arakan as well, there is an ever growing broad support for this movement,” she said.
Sister Encarnacion was referring to the many signatories from local and international communities supporting the call to End Impunity in Arakan as well as in other parts of the Philippines, and the many individuals and organizations sending letters to the Philippine government demanding swift justice for the slain missionary.
- [In the Web] Fr. Fausto Tentorio, a martyr for indigenous peoples (dars0357.wordpress.com)
- [In the Web] Philippines: Italian priest’s killing revives anti-violence campaign (dars0357.wordpress.com)
- [In the Web] Church leaders, groups urge Aquino to halt extra-judicial killings (dars0357.wordpress.com)
- Italian priest shot dead in southern Philippines (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- [Statement] ECIP-IP Apostolate Network Condemns the Killing of Fr. Fausto Tentorio, PIME, (hronlineph.wordpress.com)
- Update (November 20, 2011) (politika2013.wordpress.com)
- [Statement] On the 40th Day of FR. FAUSTO TENTORIO’S DEATH (hronlineph.com)
- Philippine police seek witnesses in priest killing (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- News Updates (politika2013.wordpress.com)
- Philippine Police Seek Witnesses in Priest Killing (abcnews.go.com)
- Mountain city of Malaybalay, Bukidnon – Malaybalay City, Philippines (travelpod.com)
- [Appeal] Signature Campaign – JUSTICE FOR FR. TENTORIO, END IMPUNITY NOW (hronlineph.com)