By JM Agreda
Monday, December 12, 2011
AT A time when human rights are protected by local, national and international laws and agreements, violations continue to increase and persist, the Commission on Human Rights (CHR)-Cordillera reported.
The CHR-Cordillera, in celebration of International Human Rights Day, reported an increasing trend of human rights violations from January to November this year.
CHR-Cordillera director Harold Kub-aron said from 93 violations last year, human rights abuses rose to 113 complaints as of November this year.
Kub-aron said among the noteworthy cases they handled this year included the complaints of Radyo ng Bayan Tabuk broadcaster Jerome Tabanganay against Kalinga Governor Jocel Baac. The commission recommended the filing of grave coercion against the governor for violating the right of the media man to free speech and expression.
Also, the regional director highlighted the case initially by filed Philippine Military Academy Cadet Erwin Calupig against his upper class identified as cadet first class Adrian Lee for allegedly violating the Anti-Hazing Law.
However, Kub-aron said Calupig already retracted his earlier pronouncements of filing a case and left his case in the hands of the authorities at the Armed Forces of the Philippines for appropriate filing of administrative case against his upper class officer.
Initially probed by CHR Commissioner Loretta Rosales, Calupig’s case was followed up by CHR-Cordillera after a video of the hazing incident leaked into the Internet and social networking sites and was brought out in national media.
Please read full article at http://www.sunstar.com.ph/baguio/local-news/2011/12/12/human-rights-violations-continue-rise-195495
- [In the Web] CHR: Rights cases highest in West Mindanao (dars0357.wordpress.com)
- [Event] Human rights defenders’ forum with the Commission on Human Rights (hronlineph.com)
- CHR probes surrender of 80 suspected rebels in Bukidnon (bukidnonews.wordpress.com)
- [Video] What Human Rights mean to me (dars0357.wordpress.com)
- Rights Group Slams Colombia Military Justice Plan (abcnews.go.com)
- Rights group slams Colombia military justice plan (sfgate.com)
- [Event] Launching of CSO-Peoples Monitoring Mechanism – PAHRA (hronlineph.com)
- [In the Web] CHR to expose contents of martial law documents (dars0357.wordpress.com)
- Cambodia: Human Rights Violations in the Kingdom of Wonders. (livinginpp.wordpress.com)
- [In the news] Groups give Aquino admin failing mark on human rights protection – www.gmanetwork.com (hronlineph.com)